Saturday

Recycling Cookie Tins


For many years I worked in a church office. At this time of year parishioners would bring the office staff lots of fabulous treats packed in tins. When the tinsel settled I would gather up all the tins and pack them away.

Recycled tins make a great gift packed with baked goods, or hand painted soaps and towels, to name a few ideas. Clean them out well with hot soapy water. I let mine air dry to be sure that the inside remains rust free. I give each one a light...and I mean light...coat of spray primer in white. I do the tops and bottoms separately. I love the snowy scenes, like the one above, that remind me of New England. This one was inspired by a design I saw in a magazine years ago.

Snowy scenes obviously lend themselves nicely to the white base. If you want more of a year round design after you have the white base give the base a coat of Linen or light green paint mixed with glaze. While still wet apply a piece of plastic wrap...push it around slightly...and then pull off to reveal a marbled look. Let it dry well and paint a suitable design. Sometimes you need only paint the design on the lid itself.

When your design is dry give it several light coats of a sealer. Pack with goodies and watch the smiles!!

Contact Kathy At kathysweeney@gmail.com

No comments: